Thursday, December 1, 2011

Integrating Technology in My Classroom

The NETS for teachers are standards that teachers should meet in order to promote student learning in the 21st century.  For students to be successful in the 21st century, technology tools have to be integrated into the curriculum to help build creative thinking skills, problem solving skills, collaboration skills, and communication skills.  As I reviewed the NETS for teachers' standards, more technology tools need to be integrated within my curriculum.  I integrate many software programs that help me teach, assess, and communicate student learning (i.e. Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, Exam View Pro, Power Teacher Gradebook).  There are only a few Web 2.0 tools that I integrate.  Discovery United Streaming and www.remind101.com are two technology tools I use often that promote student learning.

There are two main barriers that I feel hold me back from integrating more technology within my curriculum, lack of resources and lack of professional development.   I teach in a low to middle socioeconomic school corporation.  Therefore, money has not been spent on upgrading technology until this past year.  Many Web 2.0 tools can be integrated into any curriculum, but there is a lack of professional development in my school corporation.  Therefore, teachers do not feel adequate in using new technology tools.  Some of the veteran teachers even fear technology.  Do you fear integrating technology within your classroom?  Due to the lack of resources and professional development available, I don't feel fearful, I feel inadequate.  If I just knew where to begin and learn how to effectively integrate technology tools into my curriculum, I would love to help my students become more successful for the 21st century.

To help my students become more successful, I have to become more successful myself.  That means setting goals and being determined to learn how to integrate technology effectively.  I want to become knowledgeable in using Web 2.0 tools such as Moodle.  I want to develop my own website in which students can access the course syllabus and additional information that may be helpful.  I would like to learn more ways to incorporate screencasts into my curriculum.  I hope to become a competent user with a couple of these technology tools so that I can present a professional development course for my coworkers.  Not only will I be helping my students become more successful, I will be helping my fellow teachers become more successful in the 21st century.

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." ~Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment